Thoughts on The Office (US)

I have really only been dedicated to two American TV shows since I first discovered what a TV was (and later on found the magic of torrents on my computer). 

First came Scrubs, a nine-season story about the lives of a team of doctors who were also best friends. The show made working at a local hospital seem like a dream. I was, and always have been, emotionally tied to it, because it provided me with laughter, tears and a bunch of life lessons that I still value today. Nonetheless, being an avid viewer of Scrubs also meant wasting a colossal amount of time and forgetting how to prioritise properly. The day I ended Scrubs, I reprimanded and told myself to never pick up another TV show to follow again. 

I kept this promise for two solid years, which, considering the strong temptations that TV shows have radiated everywhere I go, was quite a feat. When summer started, I gave in and began watching The Office (US), which also ran for nine seasons from 2005 to 2013, but told the story of a group of employees at a paper company in Pennsylvania. Today, I watched the finale episode and sobbed my heart out. In retrospect, I think what I did is slightly insane. I finished a TV show that ran for eight years in...two months. And became incredibly attached. But I'm not a single bit regretful of the decision I made. The Office (US) reignited some of the wonderful emotions I had experienced while watching Scrubs, and maybe provided something more. 



I've been gushing and pondering over the show for hours now. The finale was a poignant and perfect wrap-up for the show, and I'm glad that it was able to mix nostalgia, happiness, comedy, appreciation and sadness into 50 well-composed minutes. In the bigger picture, all of the show's episodes and the show's cast taught me so, so much. I learnt from strong-willed salesman and farmer Dwight Schrute (Rainn Wilson) that tenacity is a key quality for success. I learnt from couple Jim Halpert (John Krasinski) and Pam Beesly (Jenna Fischer) that love can have the power to prevail. I learnt from manager Michael Scott (Steve Carrell) that leading a group of workers means creating a family along the way. I learnt from Andy Bernard (Ed Helms) that sacrifices are sometimes necessary. 

Behind all the comedy, which I thoroughly enjoyed, The Office (US) had so much more to offer. It emphasised the beauty that had culminated within a plain and seemingly boring work environment. Ultimately, the biggest lesson I received would be the appreciation of normal or routine things that, when reflected upon, are the most cherishable. I have only the amazing cast, writers and executive producer Greg Daniels to thank for such a comedic and emotional masterpiece. 


No comments:

Post a Comment